Sylvania is an international designer and manufacturer of lighting products. It has plants throughout Europe, Asia, North Africa and Central and South America, and is one of the few lighting companies that produces both lamps and lighting fixtures.
The origin of Sylvania and its predecessor companies dates back to the eastern United States in the early 1900s, when it began as a business that renewed burnt out light bulbs. In the 1920s, the company began producing new lamps and then vacuum tubes to take advantage of a booming new medium – Radio.
By the time Sylvania Electric Products merged with General Telephone in 1959, Sylvania had become a leader in electronics, lighting, television and radio, chemistry and metallurgy. General Telephone became known as GT&E Corporation, and Sylvania, a separate entity, produced everything from cameras, photo-flash bulbs, general lighting and television sets to anti-missile defence systems.
In 1981, GT&E sold its electronics operations to North American Philips. It retained the lighting business until 1983 when the brand was sold and split between OSRAM GMBH (which retained the name for North America, Mexico and Puerto Rico) and a company named SLI (Sylvania Lighting International), which acquired Sylvania for the rest of the world. Australia and New Zealand became independent identities, and in 2002 had evolved into the Sylvania Lighting Australasia Pty Ltd.
Over 90 years of world-first breakthrough product innovation, Sylvania Lighting internationally, are market leaders in innovation and development with a long list of breakthrough products such as the world’s first dichroic lamp in 1959, to the world’s first extremely robust, dual arc tube high pressure sodium lamp in 1987, to the world’s first LED based retrofit lamp designed to match the performance and size constraints of the popular GU10 50W Tungsten Halogen lamp in 2011, just to name a few. Complementing the international development is Sylvania’s heavy local investment in leading street lighting luminaire development, specifically designed to comply with local New Zealand standards.